I don’t know if I ever met my illustrious and rather enigmatic great uncle Stanley Le Rossignol. My mother often spoke of him and it was from him I inherited a collection of antique reference books, biographies, novels and religious texts dating back at least to 1859. Some show signs of appreciation and frequent use, others are very beautiful and in excellent condition.
Uncle Stan wrote some of them himself, e.g. Notes on Banking and Political Events in Jersey and Historical Notes about the Le Rossignol Family in Jersey.
Delightful as they are, I really have no long term use for many of them. I’d love to find someone who’d really appreciate them. Otherwise, one day it will be up to my offspring to deal with them, and it would be sad if they just threw them all away.
So, I’m seeking potential buyers. Please leave a comment below or send me an email (see Who am I?) if you’re interested in some or all of the following.
A complete 15-volume set of the illustrated Beacon Lights of History by John Lord, published by the Waverley Book Company in about 1900.
These volumes show signs of use but are essentially undamaged and complete, dark blue, cloth-bound board, gilt lettering, fully illustrated. See sample.
A complete 8-volume set of the illustrated Harmsworth History of the World.
All books are in excellent condition, having dark green board covers with gilt lettering and fully illustrated.
- Across India at the Dawn of the 20th Century
- The Mythology of Greece & Rome
- Palestine Past and Present
- Pictorial Chronicles
- Pictorial Treasury of Famous Men and Famous Deeds
- Romance of Navigation
- Rome – its Churches, Monuments, Arts and Antiques
- Stanley in Tropical Africa
- The Works of Josephus
- Through Bible Lands
- The Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady
- Life and Letters of Erasmus
- Wesley, his own biographer
- Socratic Discourses
- Bacon’s Essays
- Eminent Engineers: Watt, Stephenson, Telford, Brindle
- Worthies of the World
- Everyday Law
- Waverley Children’s Dictionary
- Wonders of the World
- Barchester Towers
- A Tale of Two Cities
- All the Year Round
- Bleak House
- Christmas Stories
- Martin Chuzzlewit
- Oliver Twist
- Aventures de Robinson Crusoé (French)
- Robinson Crusoé (volumes I and II; French)
- Richelieu. A Tale of France
- Works of H.G. Wells
- The Beauport Road
- Northanger Abbey & Persuasion
- Westward Ho!
- Stories by Oscar Wilde
- Lorna Doone
- Treasure Island
- Les Misérables (Vol. I & Vol. II; English)
- Toilers of the Sea
- Pope’s Homer’s Iliad
- Works of William Shakespeare
- Milton’s Poetical Works
- Poetical Works of Matthew Arnold
- The Vicar of Wakefield & Poems
- The Poetical Works of Robert Burns
- The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott
- The Poetical Works of Wordsworth
- The Works of Tennyson
These are incredibly beautiful, large presentation Bibles, with hard, embossed covers and gilt lettering.
- King James Bible; 32 x 25 x 6 cm
- Jubiläumsbibel (German); 26 x 18 x 5 cm
- Ostervald Bible (French); 26 x 19 x 6 cm
- Bunyan’s Holy War
- The Life of Christ
- The Prince of the House of David
- The Koran – Chandos Classics
- The Pilgrim’s Progress
- The Talmud – Chandos Classics
- The Vision; or Hell, Purgatory and Paradise
- Ancienne Coutume de Normandie
- Glossaire du Patois Jersiais
- Histouaithes et Gens d’Jèrri
- Jèrri Jadis
- Notes on Banking and Political Events in Jersey
- Archipel des Iles Normandes
I can give you more details of any particular item if you wish. Unfortunately, many are so old that they don’t even have a publication date mentioned. Here is the complete list of antique books for sale.